Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We have a AFH.The neighbor is the supervisor school

Customer Question

We have a AFH.The neighbor is the supervisor for transportation for our school district. Daryl Went to all the neighbors in person and stated that a client we have is a sexual predator and he lives in our home. Three neighbors confirmed that Daryl was the one that talked to them. Daryl is married but also has a girlfriend with a child from him and also works at the school. His girlfriend confronted the special needs teacher and stated she got info from Daryl about the student being a predator. The special needs teacher reported it to administration. Daryl received Info on our client for transportation only. This also affected my personal life based on I have my son with me and we live next to the business. I believe the false information is that he is a predator. The client we had at our AFH didn't have any issues about sexual predator. The district director stated that Daryl was wrong for that and said it shouldn't have happened. It was going to take a long process for what happened and we wouldn't know of any outcome.
What's my rights as a business?
What's my client rights?
What's my personal rights?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, your business and your client have rights against Daryl for defamation per se and to sue him and even his employer (since he did this as part of his employment) for damages your business and your client received as a result of his false statements. Personally, you would have to prove actual direct harm to you from his statements since you did not live in the home but next door. You can still seek to sue though on behalf of your business and your client can also sue, since it is defamation per se (meaning for those direct comments about your business and the client you do not have to prove harm).
Personally, because the statements were not about you personally or your child, you would have to prove the actual monetary harm to you from the false statement.