Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I loaned my brother-in-law and s wife $3500.00 in 2012 to

Customer Question

I loaned my brother-in-law and his wife $3500.00 in 2012 to settle some back child support issues. For 3 months he made the agreed upon payments. He lost his job so I told him when he got back on his feet he could start the payments again. he was out of work for about a year but finally started working again. My husband and I waited for some mention of paying us back for more than a year. My husband and I talked it over and decided to offer them a deal. If they could come up with one thousand dollars we would forgive the rest of the loan. We knew that my mother-in-law would help them out and then we could get on with our lives without the money issues. They accepted the offer but acted a little odd about it. We knew that they probably would not pay Mom back but she was o.k. with it. The day after we got the money I asked the wife for an air compressor of ours they had borrowed. We live in the same trailer park about 5 spaces apart. She told me she wouldn't give it to me that my husband had to come and get it. When he walked over to get it she ran about 3 spaces toward him and assaulted him and then started screaming that he was going to kill her. We did not press charges because of Mom but i told her that the deal was off and I wanted all my money back. We paid Mom back the thousand dollars and tried to avoid them. Since then she has been telling lies about us and causing trouble on the holidays. Recently she called the police and told them that her phone line had been vandalized and accused me of doing it. I have had all I can take from her. What are my options?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. When you ask about your options, are you talking about the issue with the money owed and deal made or her harassment and issuing with her accusing you of stuff and lies?

Also, what State do you reside in?

Hi, are you still with me?