MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

My 64 year old sister lives in section 8 housing, is in a

Customer Question

My 64 year old sister lives in section 8 housing, is in a wheelchair and has been receiving SSDI for a number of years. She is about to inherit a small sum of money but doesn't want to jeopardize her medical coverage or 400sq. foot Calif. apartment. A Ventura attorney is pressuring her, causing her anxiety levels to spike. Should she refuse the inheritance, or can she gift it to a relative rather than have any unused portion (if placed in a Special Needs Trust) go to the state ? Her medical prognosis indicates she will not live to a "ripe old age" ???
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is yes, she can gift the inheritance to a relative. She can basically do whatever she wants with the inheritance. It would probably be in her best interest to gift it to a trust relative that would agree to use it on her for her care, etc.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.