Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I am an owner in a business we started 4 years ago. 2 1/2

Customer Question

Customer: I am an owner in a business we started 4 years ago. 2 1/2 years after we started our business an old coworker came to us and said she left the company where we worked together. She had left a year before talking to us about doing some marketing for us
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: our old employer is suing us because they say she stole some contacts and we should have known she did
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

So the old employer is suing for a non compete and is alleging she took confidential information such as names and contact information for clients of the former employer? Is that correct?

Please tell me what state and also how long has this co worker now been working for you? Have you any contact or business dealings with any of the contacts the former employer is saying she brought to your company?

What information can I provide for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Maryland, she does not work for us she has her own marketing company that we use for marketing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She never had a non compete and neither did I or my business partner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she did marketing at our old company, she left a year after I left the company. 2 1/2 years after I left the company she asked if I would like her to do marketing for us. She had started her own company and we knew she was good so we used her
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

If there was not a non compete, and she is not your employer, but a private independent contractor, I cannot see the basis for a lawsuit against you.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I suggest, you can consider filing a Motion to Dismiss because there is no breach of a non compete and you have no idea how she gets her contacts for marketing purposes.