Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in an upscale neighborhood. A new shopping center is

Customer Question

I live in an upscale neighborhood. A new shopping center is being built directly across the street from the entrance to my neighborhood which I do not have a problem with except that one building facing our entrance has a two story façade. No other shopping center in any other shopping center has a two story façade fronting a neighborhood and I am not sure this is even within code. This building will, I feel, diminish our property value. Can I get legal redress to address the adverse effect this will have on my property?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no specific building code that prevents them from building a two story facade across from a neighborhood, but all plans for these developments must be approved by the zoning and planning commission. Your sole option here to object to the design is through filing a written complaint to the zoning and planning commission. If zoning and planning refuses to make them change it, I am sorry to say that there is no other legal remedy to fight them to stop them.