Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Is there a statute of limitations on how I have to change a

Customer Question

is there a statute of limitations on how long I have to change a vehicle into my name once I get the bill of sale in the state of Delaware
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

.

It isn't really a "statute of limitations", it is just a requirement by law. Under DE law, a purchaser must register a car in their name within 30 days of purchase if the purchase is from a private seller. The vehicle must also pass a vehicle inspection. If the vehicle is purchased from a dealer, then they will submit the paperwork for registering the vehicle.

.

According to the DE DMV: Delaware law requires all buyers of Delaware-registered vehicles to make application for a new certificate of title immediately following the purchase of the vehicle; but in no case, more than 30 days after the purchase of the vehicle. A penalty fee is charged for the issuance of a new certificate of title when the application is received more than 30 days after the vehicle was purchased.

.

http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/vehicle_services/titles/ve_title_general.shtml

.

.

thanks