Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Can i legally get health questions about my mom answered by

Customer Question

Can i legally get health questions about my mom answered by my brother instead of me having to go through his new wife if my brother is ok with this? I am trying to focus on improving her dietary needs as she is getting Alzheimers and certain symptoms make Alzheiemers worse. There are even studies showing a reversal of Alzheimers at two Universities but it requires a history of the patient and, food diary, bowel and digestion habits and various labs which he is not in the position to full fill so mom has to be with me in order to put all the protocols together. Most people quit, but those who have the resources and support, end up succeeding and reversing much of the symptoms of Alzheimers. My sister in law texted me to stop asking my brother trivial questions about my moms health so that he can focus on his own health and personal growth. I find her domineering and extremely controlling for the sake of satisfying her reasoning of her "worrying" so she has everyone in her family check in with her no matter where the go and what they are doing. Because other wise she "worries"... I suppose lots of this can be valid... but my suspiscion is my bro (who has been sober for 5 years) is now in a relationship and is not caregiver to our parents anymore and has to abide by the ideals of a wife....(former caregiver I interviewed and hired) who also has tight executive functioning skills. ( I attest to that) but at a price. A personality like my brother who is an high skilled artisan in the design trade is relapsing now. I haven't spoken to him for weeks and finally needed a bit of info and the wife opposed. Me and my brother have been deeded one home together and the other which he was sharing with my parents is still in their name. He has POA with need for my signature ... (i think, but it was updated and signed with only his name) He sent me the original signed POA. THe priority is my ability to communicate with him. The only thing I typically call about is health issues. We are not chatty types spending hours on the phone just so you know.) But I did spend 3 years taking him to a few detox until he finally spent half a year with me, and got clean with the help of AA. Clean from anti-anxiety meds and mixing alchohol. Clean since 2010
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

I am a bit unclear from your facts. Do you or do you not have a healthcare POA from your mom?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I can only communiate in bits and pieces if its ok with you. I think I do have a health care POA for my mom.. But she is not well today and I don;t have time to look for it to verity. I Believe when my sibling is not available, I have the POA... So the wording is simply like that. But I will check once my mom is stable. It may take a few days because my helper has the flu and I have other things going on. But I will get back to this as long as you have knowledge of the topic...

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have a signed healthcare poa you can get her medical info directly from her doctors. You can also get it from your brother.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

His wife says he is co-dependant and it seems there are so many rules to communicating that is seems like bullying. I am afraid she will look at his phone and they will argue saying his stress is caused by me. And that siblings should not interfere with their brothers and sisters health if they are married. I gave a referral to a particular specialist or sometimes research for him. he is not a stranger to me. But now I am suppose to be like other siblings and normal adults and wait to be asked if he wants help instead of sending a lead to a doctor or something like that.

If me and my sibling previously had the same interest in health and cures, what is wrong with continuing that hobby once he is married? Do you know if there are issues like this that get too intense where a spouse wants to micromanage their spouse constantly? We own my parents home now and have their accounts so I feel we have to work together and communicate often to sort this transition out for their care... I sporadically contact him. SOmetimes never for 2 weeks.. Is there a measure in the courts to determine what a normal relationship between siblings is suppose to look like?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have a poa then you are legally entitled to the info and you can ask until you receive the requested info.