RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I got a ticket expired tag (misdemeanor, I assume). Does it

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, Sam. I got a ticket for an expired tag (misdemeanor, I assume). Does it go on my criminal record?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No, it was just a simple 40-2-8
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How do I pay?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I payed the 36 dollars and will await an answer. Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

An expired tag charge is not a misdemeanor in Georgia. It is one of the few traffic tickets in Georgia that is not a criminal misdemeanor. If you weren't arrested the charge isn't on your criminal history, and it will not go on your driving history. It is a fine, typically around $100-$200. However, if you show up to court with proof that you have recently renewed the tag, they often will reduce the fine. There's no guarantee they'll do this of course, since you're basically admitting your guilt, but it certainly is helpful for you to do so.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I looked it up in the traffic codes and it classified it as a misdemeanor. So I'm a bit confused

Expired registration is not a misdemeanor. Forged plates or forged registration is a misdemeanor, as is a suspended registration. A suspended registration charge is entirely different than an expired tag ticket. An expired tag ticket carries a small fine, and does not go on your driving history. A suspended registration ticket carries a minimum fine of $1,000, is a misdemeanor, goes on your driving history, and will suspend your driver's license if convicted. If this was just an issue of forgetting to renew, you're okay -go renew and bring proof to court.