Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My son is 36, has a disability and lives at home with my

Customer Question

My son is 36, has a disability and lives at home with my husband and me. He works at Walmart, about 32 hours per week and has a yearly income of somewhere between 15 and 20,000 dollars a year. He was offered health insurance for the first time at Walmart and without our knowledge signed up for Kaiser Permanente (with the help of an HR person at Walmart), which begins today. In December I renewed his AFA insurance with Care First, so that he may continue to use that coverage. Between my husband and me our combined income in 2014 was about 700,000 dollars. The AFA wants copies of each family member's income for 2015, even though the coverage is only for my son. Will that affect my son's total portion of the care first insurance that he is responsible for?
Thank you!
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Here since they are asking for income statements it is likely they may adjust the premiums based on income. This is a reasonable assumption since they are asking for such proof of income.You will have to provide it if you want to continue the coverage. It is very possible that your rates will be a bit higher here, but your son would have great insurance.Double coverage if he has medical issues is always a great investment.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you a happy new year.