John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

Can I draw my husband,s social security instead of mine

Customer Question

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

There are options here. If you are over full retirement age (generally 67 years old) you can draw his only, and let yours continue to grow in value and perhaps one day your payout would exceed his and you can transfer over to yours. If you are less than full retirement age you must apply for yours, and if his is greater you will get a boost in benefits to meet his; but of course you cannot allow yours to build in value. Your benefits are in no way reduced by your pension received - what possibly this person meant is that you have greater social security credit than your husband and you would not get any bump from his earnings.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive-rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.