Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

If you talk online to minor without knowing she is minor and

Customer Question

if you talk online to minor without knowing she is minor and she tries to get you to meet and sends you photos that were not requested is that considered solicitation of a minor
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

It depends on exactly what was said and done. Are they asking for money from you?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

But whether the minor initiated the contact or not doesn't matter for it to be considered solicitation.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

In addition, depending on what exactly was said and done there are many, many different charges possible on both the state and federal level.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesent matter if you unaware of her age until she feels it appropiate to answer its considered solicitation
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

That is correct, especially in Texas.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

In Texas the minor can even affirmatively misrepresent their age and the defendant can still be guilty. In other words, they can tell you they are over 18 and you can still be prosecuted if they are not.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If they are asking for money to not report you then there is a way to proceed which can, potentially, prevent prosecution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they asking for money not to prosecute
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

The best thing for you to do is go and hire a local lawyer and turn it over to them. Many times these people are overseas and not actually minors and if you hire a local lawyer they can contact law enforcement and head this off by accusing them of scamming you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ok i will do that as soon as possible thats what i was thinking they told me that they were gonna send her the another north carolina and that they were gonna charge me half 2300 dollars so you recommend i contact a local lawyer
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely. If you pay them then they will keep asking for money until you don't have any left. Go ahead and hire a lawyer ASAP and let them handle it all.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I've seen them do this and they keep asking for money over and over and threatening. Often it is someone from the Phillipines doing it.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm about to go offline for a little while.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one last question they seemes to be local and not from thier someone in the military shall i still proceed
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely. Still go and hire a local lawyer and let them get started on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ok sir thank you what would happen if i wait to see what they actually do or then consult a lawyer?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If you let them take the initiative they may report you and then you have to go through an investigation and hire a lawyer anyway but in that case you're playing defense. This way you'll be on offense and there's less of a chance charges will be filed.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating. The experts don't receive credit for the work until you issue the rating.