P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Is contacting a code enforcement office due to

Customer Question

Is contacting a code enforcement office due to unsafe/unsanitary home environment on behalf of a patient in a hospital a violation of HIPAA?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Sorry...can you clarify...who is contact the code enforcement office? A neighbor ? Someone else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did in my role as a clinical social worker who works in a hospital
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

And to make sure I understand, the report was about the conditions INSIDE the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

That is NOT a HIPAA violation. HIPAA prohibit the release of "private health information".

Sharing information about a violation of local laws with the relevant authority is not a release of private health information and, therefore, not a violation of the HIPAA

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

follow up