Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I was going through my filing cabinet I've had since I was

Customer Question

I was going through my filing cabinet I've had since I was 17 and came across a Durable General Power of Attorney. I'm really at a loss for words as I have no recollection of signing this. It's singed by me and a notary in 2003 when I was just 18 (I'm now 30). I don't even know the man who is listed as attorney-in-fact. How do I fix this and have it revoked especially since I don't even know who this is???? It's also just one page and I'm not even 100% sure of it's legality except for the fact a notary did sign it.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you.The easiest way to do this is sign the revocation and file it in the deed records of your county.If you think your banks or anyone else has the POA a certified copy of the revocation would put them on notice as well.

Here is the form you need..

I,_______________________(Principal's name), of ________________(Principal's Street Address), city of _________________________, County of __________________________, State of ____________________________, hereby revoke the power of attorney dated __________________, 20___ given to, and empowering ____________________________ __________________ (name of Attorney-in-Fact) to act in my behalf as my true and lawful attorney in order to handle my financial affairs and health care decisions should I become incapacitated and not be able to do so myself, and I declare that all power and authority granted under said of power of attorney is hereby revoked and withdrawn.

Dated: ________________________, 20___.

_____________________________
Principal

WITNESS

1- _____________________________ of _________________________________(address)

2- _____________________________ of _________________________________(address)

NOTARY

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I, a notary Public of the State of ______________, duly commissioned and sworn, have hereunto set my hand and affixed my official seal in the _________________ County of _______________________ on this date of _________________, 20____.

___________________________________
Notary

My commission expires: _____/_____/__________

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and happy new year to you.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Sorry left off title of document above.

Revocation of Power of Attorney

Dated: ________________________, 20___.

_____________________________
Principal

WITNESS

NOTARY

___________________________________
Notary