Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association
8989662

How can someone prove if are doing illegal contracting

Customer Question

How can someone prove if are doing illegal contracting (construction worK)
someone drop off some paper about a remodeling job with my name and sing on it and some checks on my name.
And a guy from licensing department called me and wants me to go see him in person
The contractor for the job was a certify contractor(who got permits to do the job, but my name is ***** ***** contract ( I was helping to do some work in there)
I need to know what kind of situation is this
And if should I go see this guy?
What could happen if don't go see him?
Note: i have not get any notification of anything on writing from building department (only a phone call)
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

You should meeting with the licensing department. Don't avoid it. You didn't mention whether you have a construction supervisor license but it doesn't matter that much, my answer is the same.

Since you are just a sub contractor, you are not ultimately responsible for getting the permits. The general contractor is responsible. You should be honest with the inspector, and just say you are happy to get any permits or licenses that you need for the job, if they weren't properly pulled by the GC.

What typically happens is that you would be required to get the proper permit, and might be charged a higher fee as a penalty. Sometimes they charge twice the fee. I wouldn't be too concerned about much more consequences.

I hope this helps and take care,
Kim

Hi there.

I need to close out my questions from last week, to make sure that I get paid for my work. I see that your question is still open.

Please close the question by providing positive feedback, which will also avoid the system keeping your money.

Thank you and take care,

Kim

Hi, I want to make sure that you read the answer that I provided to your question on December 30, 2015.

Please see the above, and then close out the question with positive feedback so that I get credit for my work with you, and so that the system does not keep your money.

Thank you