CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My traffic court fines were turned into collection in 2008,

Customer Question

my traffic court fines were turned into collection in 2008, and I'd like to get my licence back without paying the 1600 bucks the collection agency wants, is there a statue of limitations on how long they can hold my license hostage until I pay them?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

DMV, when ordered by a court, may suspend a person's driving privilege if the person fails to appear in court or fails to pay a traffic fine for a traffic violation or a traffic crime in Oregon or Washington. Your driving privilege will be suspended until DMV receives proof that the case has been cleared with the court or until ten years has elapsed from the date the suspension begins, whichever comes first, at which time you will need to pay a reinstatement fee in order to remove the suspension from your record.

• Acceptable proof of clearance from a court includes either of the following:
  • An official court clearance document from the court; or
  • An electronically transmitted clearance sent directly to DMV from a Circuit Court in Oregon.
  • Persons suspended for failure to appear or to comply are not eligible for a hardship permit.

Source: Oregon DMV: http://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/driverid/suspreasons.aspx

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I live in AZ and want to know how do I clear this with DMV, it has been well over 10 years and DMV says I have to get it cleared with the court which says I it has been turned over to collections in2008 and ill have to deal with them on it, I suppose they are waiting on clearance from them before reinstating my license

My apologies, the system indicated you were writing from Oregon.

Please give me a moment.

Just to confirm - was the citation issued in Arizona as well?

Dear Customer,

Assuming this occurred in AZ - the relevant statute can be found here: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/01601.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Unlike Oregon, which has the 10 year limit, Arizona does not restrict the amount of time that the driver's license is revoked.

You can try making an appearance in court to settle the debt with the state - ask the court/judge to waive or reduce the amount being billed in collections (I wouldn't expect them to waive them entirely, it costs the state money to send these accounts to collections), and once you have paid the debt in full, you will get the notice of satisfaction from the court, and you can then get your license from the DMV.