Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My name is ***** ***** and i got an MIP earlier this month

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and i got an MIP earlier this month and I have a few questions.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I was talking to a friend and he offered me some free alcohol which me and my other friends took advantage of. We got it from his house and we saw an RA in the street as we were leaving his house; beer in tow. We went back to the dorm (hadn't opened anything yet), had the beer in a book bag, carried it up to the dorm and we did not see, nor talk to anyone when we went up there and we are almost certain no one saw us. About 20 minutes later, the cops show up at the door knocking, un knowing of what i should have done, I answered the door after we had hidden the beer we had opened, and he said they heard we had beer. I did not admit at the time and he came in to the room after i granted him access. We gave ourselves up and showed him where it was. I was wondering if they even had the right to knock on the door in the first place without knowing what we were actually guilty of? The RAs were with the police.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, should I plead not guilty at my court appearance. If so, what should I do for a lawyer? What would be a premise for me to go off of for my defense?
Expert:  David C. Garner replied 1 year ago.

Hello, are you there?

The short answer is yes, the officer may knock on the door. There is nothing wrong with that. Then, if you grant them access, they may come in. Then, if you "give yourselves up" they can search. If you show them the beer, then they don't need to. "Almost certain no one saw us" is a recipe for disaster. As to what you should do at court, that is harder to answer. Based on the facts you offer there is little to work with, but you might have an argument for suppression of the evidence/your statements based on the circumstances of the contact, but that would require a more extensive analysis. And its probably pretty thin. You did not indicate what jurisdiction you are in, but these are not serious cases, and you will probably get a fine, if that.

I hope this helps.

DCG