Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Best way to find out if there's a warrant out?

Customer Question

Best way to find out if there's a warrant out for you?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

It really depends on the type of warrant. Is this for a traffic citation, misdemeanor or felony?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure can the police issue a warrant without knowing the identity of the perpetrator?

They can issue a warrant if they are about to run out of time under the statute of limitations, but that's only done in very rare cases.

If it's a felony warrant, they likely won't tell you over the phone. If you aren't sure if you are being investigated, I would not recommend calling the police to find out if there is a warrant, as it may cause them to look into whatever you are asking about.

So, if you haven't been contacted or you have no real reason to belive you are under investigation, it would not be wise for you to call and find out if you have a warrant.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I haven't been contacted but I might be under investigation but i don't believe they have my name

If that's the case, I suggest you do nothing. I understand your desire to know what's going on, but calling about a case where you haven't even been identified yet would be a bad idea. Unfortunaely, there isn't some public database you can access to find out if you have a warrant. Those are kept sealed until the person is arrested.

I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In the police incident log it explains a description of me but no name and the in the report is says warrant for apprehension on way to district court

Based on that information alone, it is impossible to know if a warrant has been issued. The only way to know for sure is to call the police department and ask, but as I've described, that's taking a significant risk.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I call and they say there isn't a warrant at that point could they try to use my name to link me to a warrant

If they are able to connect you to that case, they could, potentially. It all depends on the facts of your case.

Do you have any questions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I call the clerks office and they say there isn't a warrant for me is the end of it or does the clerks office then tell someone that I called in
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

They most likely won't tell you if you do or don't, but even if they do, they aren't required by law to inform anyone that you called.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
your saying they probably wouldn't tell me if I did have one

Correct. Warrants are sealed. Sometimes the police department will tell someone if they think they will turn themselves in, but they are under no obligation to tell a person they have an arrest warrant. That's why the type of crime a person is charged with matters. Obviously, they are more likely to tell a person charged with a non-violent offense they have a warrant than they would be, for example, a person charged with assault or murder.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What if its an indecent exposure and shouldnt I call I call the courts clerks office for peace of mind rather than the police

The police are the only ones that may be willing to tell you, but I would not suggest that you call.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The court wouldn't tell me? wouldn't they want me to come in to resolve it.

They would not tell you since the warrant is sealed. I'm not sure how else to explain that.

Warrants are sealed for the protection of the officers who have to arrest the person (obviously, if a person knows they are going to be arrested, they are going to be prepared. For some people, that means being ready to shoot the police). It's the police department's job to execute the warrants, so if they want to have the person turn themselves in instead of finding the person, that's their call, not the court's. As such, the court will not tell you if there is a warrant. That will have to come from the police.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If they knew if was me would they have already tried to reach me if it happened last week

Not necessarily. A person isn't always notified if they are charged. It's up to the police as to whether they tell the person or not.

I'm not sure I can explain it better than that. I understand that you really want to know if you've been charged, but the simple fact is that the police don't have to tell you that you have a warrant if they don't want to.

I hope that answers your question. Please rate my answer if it does.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just don't know of I should turn myself in the suspense is killing me

I would not suggest that you turn yourself in. At this point, there is no reason to do that. I'm not sure I can help you any more than I already have. Please "rate" my answer. Good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can the registry of motor vehicles see if I have a warrant if I'm going to their for an issue with my license
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will something inform them I have a warrant

If you go try to renew your license and you have a warrant, they will notify the police before they tell you.

Please, remember to "rate" my answer as soon as you can. We've been going back and forth on this for a few days.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I looked at the screen that the person was working at the registry and nothing said anything of a warrant or to notify police I wonder if it would of if there was a warrant.

I'm not sure I can help you any more than I already have. Please rate my answer.