Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Peters, I have toll violation charces $4,300?? and I have no

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have toll violation charces for over $4,300?? and I have no money to pay it. What should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I involved with car accident last August'15 or sept'15 (I don't remember excactly when) but my car got total and I purchased used car and transferred my EZ tag w/o give them (toll rd office) the updated. I planned it to back then but the work and life were kinda hectic and I forgot. Tool rd found out and had charcing me fee on top of fee until the police stopped me yesterday night and issued me a ticket and mentioned the total charce amount for about $4,398 to be excact.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm sorry to say - this is a strict liability issue. You used the road, and therefore the tolls must be paid. It's unfortunately not a legal defense that you forgot to update the tags on your car, because that's your responsibility, just like registering a new vehicle. What they'll tell you is that, if you didn't have time to get the EZ pass updated, you should have paid cash or not used the toll roads.

Inability to pay is also not a defense. I'm telling you this because, in my experience, the people who operate the tolls are not all that willing to work with you. The law is 100% on their side. They do not waive fees when they didn't make a mistake. You can ask if they're willing to accept payments in installments. Just be prepared for the possibility that they might refuse. The penalties will continue to increase until you are able to pay them in full. So if there's any way you can borrow the money or otherwise come up with a way to pay, it will save you money in the long run.