Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My husband is accused of piracy, a paper view fight at the

Customer Question

My husband is accused of piracy , for viewing a paper view fight at the bar. Federal case. that happened 3 years ago. That business is no longer in existence
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

They are suing him just for being at the bar or was he involved with the ownership or the operation of the bar?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he was the owner .

All right, what specific question can I assist with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there is a statue of limitation of two years?

These types of cases are usually pursued under the No Electronic Theft (NET) Act of 1997, and that act has a 5 year statute of limitations.

However, there have been some recent cases that have restricted video/satellite signal piracy cases to as short a statute of limitations as one year.

Here is a link to the case finding pirating of a UFC fight was a one year statute of limitations:

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar_case?case=16863184441356603433&hl=en&as_sdt=2006

The underlying rationale in that case is that for causes of action other than under NET, which I'm not sure really applies to signal piracy due to its language, the federal statute of limitations is the same as the closest one in the state court and state laws.

In short, what your husband needs to do is hire a lawyer to file a response and then file a Motion to Dismiss based on the statute of limitations issues.