Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

MY NAME IS ***** ***** AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF CPN ARE

Customer Question

Customer: MY NAME IS ***** ***** AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF CPN ARE LEGAL AND IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH IT
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: im a victim of id theft and need help
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
CPN themselves are not illegal, it is how people think they can use them that is illegal. A CPN that is tied to your social security number so that it is attached to your true credit report is not illegal, it is a valid way to protect your SSN. It is illegal though if someone attempts to use the CPN to create an entirely new credit history to hide prior bad credit and in that case it is deemed to be fraud and that is not legal use of a CPN.
If you are getting the CPN to protect your identity and it will be tied to your real credit history, then yes it is legal to use one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you help me to get a cpn number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry, we are forbidden by law from doing that. We are not allowed to suggest any agency that does these either, but before you try to get a CPN number, you need to consider that while you may intend to link it to your SSN which would not be illegal, there are many scam companies out there and you need to check each company through the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commissison first. These CPN numbers are not common and are really not favored as a way to protect yourself.