Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I own a ranch in north texas. My son allowed a 35 year old

Customer Question

I own a ranch in north texas. My son allowed a 35 year old guide and out fitter move into a ranch house with no rent paid or power for 3 months and no rental agreement. He and his online girlfriend and son havn't paid rent or power for 3 months now. I told him he defaulted on any outfitting agreement with my son because of no rent and that he will not bring hunters on till further notice. What do I have to do to evict?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Unfortunately, if they will not leave voluntarily, you do need to go through the legal process to avoid being accused of an illegal eviction. When there is a default, which you have in your situation, under Texas law, you will then need to give a 3-Day Notice to Quit...meaning they must vacate the premises within that period or face formal eviction. Then, if they do not leave, you will have to file a petition for an eviction order. Once that is granted...you can have the sheriff evict them forcibly. . Unfortunately, you are not allowed to move their stuff out, change the locks, or take any other means of "self-help" eviction prior to obtaining the eviction order.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you could just force them out immediately, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!