Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Darrick, If i would be denied unemployment accident that

Customer Question

Customer: Darrick, If i would be denied unemployment for a accident that ended in termination?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I worked at ETI driving a forklift. Last Wednesday I was backing up early in the morning before the sun was up. And backed into one of the trucks that I didn't see.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: not right now
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i would be denied unemployment for a accident that ended in termination?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I worked at ETI driving a forklift. Last Wednesday I was backing up early in the morning before the sun was up. And backed into one of the trucks that I didn't see. The forklift didnt have a mirror and i hai would be denied unemployment for a accident that ended in termination?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I worked at ETI driving a forklift. Last Wednesday I was backing up early in the morning before the sun was up. Andbacked into one of the trucks that I didn't see. I had a hoodie because of the cold.
Thank you for your reply
You can be denied unemployment for any termination that is for misconduct directly related to employment. So, if you are terminated for an at fault accident, then this can be grounds to deny your benefits because the accident was through your fault and as such termination was through fault of your own. So in unemployment, if they try to deny your benefits, you would have to present evidence how the accident was unavoidable because of dark and weather conditions and because the forklift did not have proper safety equipment of a mirror, all of which are factors that mitigate your fault and are grounds for unemployment to find at least that this was not significant enough misconduct to deny your benefits.