Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My mom admited to my family that she cheated on my dad with

Customer Question

My mom admited to my family that she cheated on my dad with her coworker who is also married. The wife of the person she cheated with kept harassing us now, calling with different numbers and threatening us that she knows where my mom lives. She even called our other relatives. My mom completely stopped the relationship and even changed her number. I believe that the wife is creating fake FB accounts and emails to pretend like my mom so she has a reason to punish her and blame her. I told the wife to send those emails to us so that we can track which computer it came from but she never replied. How can we stop her from harassing, threatening and stalking my mom? I truly appreciate the help.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

California has both civil and criminal penalties for cyberstalking..

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

On the criminal side, it is a crime to use computers, telephones or other electronic communication media, to annoy or harass. It is punisable by not more than one year in jail and up to $1000 fine.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

On the civil side, Cal. Civil Code § 1708-1725 creates a civil claim for the same behavior. So, if you can prove this woman is doing this your mom can sue her in civil court.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Your first step is to contact local police to make a riminal complaint.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.