Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

A friend purchase a car in their name. There was no written

Customer Question

a friend purchase a car for me in their name. There was no written agreement but I have been making the payments on time for the last 6 months. No this person is demanding the car back because the persons get mad at me. Calls the police and the officer said because there was no written agreement, I must give up the car. But I have been making payments, the person who sold me the car knows of the agreement even the financial company knows that I am the person who are making the payments. What are my rights???
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

What you will need to do since your friend is on the title is to file suit against your friend for breach of contract. Even though you don't have a signed written agreement, the lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concepts of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person A relied upon the verbal agreement, Person A performed based on such reliance, and because Person B defaulted, such reliance is now to Person A's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person A based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person A relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person B's failure to perform would be to Person A's detriment, and iv) result in Person B being unjustly enriched, Person A can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. Your situation would satisfy all the foregoing elements.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!