Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

LA fitness gym personal training membership. canceled

Customer Question

Customer: LA fitness gym personal training membership. canceled verbally with salesman. He never told me i had to cancel in writing at the club. just said ok. club kept billing my credit card account. I apparently initialed something stating cancel policy.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: apparently they only offer a 12 month membership, but cancelable after 3 months. If it was explained that way, i would have never signed up. I didnt have my glasses, and asked the salesman to read outloud the the photocopy sheet of paper he was asking me to initial. I dont have a copy. i agrued with them almost immediately about the sessions being 30 minutes not an hour, also not clearly explained or described. At that point i said i wanted to cancel, they offered me some additional sessions (to use within my 3 months). there are over 700,000 articles on google if you typr in LA fitness personal training ripoff.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: can you email me back when ready, or maybe best i get a copy first of what i signed?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

This is so typical of these gyms. They tell you one thing verbally, then have you sign something quickly that doesn't have anything close to what was told to you. Since they won't resolve this voluntarily, you want to raise the stakes on them. Send them a letter, by certified, return receipt requested mail, detailing the history and their default, and demand they accept your termination without recourse to you and refund any money they've taken from you subsequent to the date you gave your termination notice. . Inform them that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!