Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I heard that megan's law incarceration rules have been

Customer Question

I heard that megan's law incarceration rules have been revised. That prisons can no longer keep a sex offender in a mental hospital to evaluate them, after they have completed their jail sentence. And that it was deemed unconstitutional. Is this true?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

The law allowing for a sex offender to be civilly committed to a mental institution as a danger to others and to be held there indefinitely has been challenged numerous times and withstood Constitutional scrutiny. But this appears to be changing.

A Federal court has indeed very recently ruled on a Minnesota case and held that such detention is unconstitutional. You can read an article about that case here. This will give many sex offenders similarly committed an opportunity to appeal and reenter society.