Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My name is ***** *****. I am trying to find out if I need a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is ***** *****. I am trying to find out if I need a license to breed mini pigs in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I would like to start a business breeding and selling mini pot bellied pigs. I am wondering if it is a regulated business?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: when will I know the exact charge?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Maryland
Thank you for your reply.
Under Maryland law, a person may not import into the State, offer for sale, trade, barter, possess, breed, or exchange the following species of animals: foxes, skunks, raccoons, bears, caimans, alligators, crocodiles, wild cats, wolves, nonhuman primates, and venomous snakes. See: MD Code, Criminal Law, § 10-621.
Pot belly pigs are not prohibited under MD law. Now, just because they are not prohibited under state law, your local county can have a local ordinance, so you also need to check your county clerk about the local law. All of the MD laws are specifically for dogs, but none specify pot belly pigs, so you can breed them and sell them without any special license.