LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Rosenberg asking if it is ever ok to cross a double yellow

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** rosenberg asking if it is ever ok to cross a double yellow line in NJ
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes a two lane highway with a double yellow line at a stop sign 3 cars are making a rigny but cant because of a crossing train. Can i pass the stopped cars and go straight
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I'm sorry, but it is never legal to cross a double yellow line to go around cars that are legally stopped in the road---even if they are being held up waiting for a train.

It is legal to cross a double yellow to make a left turn into a driveway, or is there is an accident blocking the road, or on the direction of an emergency responded to a situation and they direct you across the double yellow.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug