Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I just lost a case in Justice Court in Texas. In this case,

Customer Question

I just lost a case in Justice Court in Texas. In this case, I made a point that the Assumed Name Certificate was three years expired. The other party advised that since the bank had no objections, he did not have to renew it. The owner is now in a different business entirely with the same old company name. Do I have any legal recourse?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice /legal service you should contact a local attorney.

Are you asking whether you can file an appeal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am considering an appeal.

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you have any valid legal basis for your appeal, aside from the fact that the opposing party did not renew their assumed name certificate?

Please clarify.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This business that went out of business opened up again repairing small engines. The mechanic was an auto mechanic and repaired my autos successfully three times in the past. He was hired to repair small engines which he does not know that on a lawnmower there are switches on the seat, brake and choke that will activate when the key is twisted in the ignition. These are government safety regulations. He told me he couldn't figure it out that the electric did not pass thru to the starter. He rebuilt the starter after I told the owner that there was no problem with the starter as I had it checked out two weeks ago, . I had to repeat the problem to the mechanic as the owner put on the work order the mower "won't do nothing" and told him nothing. When I went in to talk to the mechanic, the owner was not even there. After the mechanic found out was wrong, he had it fixed by the next morning, just hours later. I was billed for work I did not ask to be performed also.

Thank you for your follow up.

What is the disputed amount?

Did Justice Court provide a reason as to why it ruled for the shop?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found on the computer that business must have a valid assumed name certificate. On the answer to my complaint, many lies and inappropriate answers were posted. It was stated they would not work on my tiller and I could pick it up. It stated that Briggs/Stratton agreed with him. When I picked it up, it had a new engine in it. Briggs/Stratton took five months to do this work and never kept me informed. I have had seven cases in Justice courts in the surrounding counties and each one resulted in "you take nothing" decisions. I gave enough documentation in all of them to have won them all.

Thank you for your follow up.

What is the disputed amount?