Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have put a title in my name. It was my ex car she sighed

Customer Question

Hi I have put a title in my name. It was my ex car she sighed off and I put it in my name a cop called me saying I had to give it back she said it's stolded. The cop said the reg traction still in her name. But I switch to my plate Over to the car. How can they say I stole it?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

NEED CLARIFICATION PLEASE:

1. In whose name was the title in before?

2. Do you actually have an IL title showing only your name on it?

3. Did you register the car in your name using the new title?

4. Not clear - why do you believe that the cop's records still show the registration in her name?