Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was red as show crew venue. I observed the producer of the

Customer Question

I was hired as show crew for a venue. I observed the producer of the show intentionally blocking fire exits with tables and chairs because she had oversold the venue. I called the fire department and requested a Fire Marshal come to the site to check for safety. He ordered her to remove several tables and removed at least 50 people from the room as it was over capacity. The show producer has refused to pay me because of this and is potentially trying to sue me for overages in venue overtime and loss of deposit due to the fire department call. If I truly believed the worksite had become unsafe and that is why I called for a Fire Marshal, can I be sued for that and can she withhold monies owed me due to this issue?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No she cannot retaliate by withholding your pay. This is illegal retaliation and you can sue not only for the money due but up to triple the money due for her willful and malicious to pay you the money due. You can sue also for attorney's fees in addition to the triple money due. You need to send her a letter informing her the retaliation for you enforcing the health and safety and fire code laws is illegal and if she continues you will sue her for her willful and malicious retaliation in withholding pay and seek triple the amount due plus attorney's fees as damages for her malicious conduct.