Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I have on line tech support business. We advertise on Pop up

Customer Question

I have on line tech support business. We advertise on Pop up ads on line and customers are directed thru the advertisement to call us for support. My questions here as follows:
1. What are legal issues or requirements for selling on line tech support services on line?
2. What are legal requirements for Pop Up Ads on line?
3. What are ways to protect your business from false allegations of scam or fraud?
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

NOTE:

Your questions 1 and 3 are very broad and most expert will shy away from fielding such questions as they could encompass writing a mini-book or long essay for a complete answer. If you want me to answer #2 for the deposit amount that you have placed, please let me know. If you want another expert to take a look at this instead, you can click the "opt out" button on your end to release my lock on this question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please answer question 2 for now?

ANSWER:

Online advertising falls under the purview of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The legality of pop-up ads has not been clearly determined. There are some unresolved copyright and trademark related issues floating in the ether at this time. The FTC has found some tactics used by various programs to display these pop-up ads to be violation of fair advertising practices.

The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1984 allows prosecution of the unauthorized acquisition of data from a protected computer that results in damage. This is at the extreme and may not apply to you and refers more to spyware ads. In the case of less egregious practices like intrusive pop-up ads, the standards are less clear. Pop-up ads themselves do not at this time appear to be illegal so long as they are not deceitful, fraudulent, or facilitate some unfair practice.