Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Can I bring an action against a Company and its Franchisee

Customer Question

Can I bring an action against a Company and its Franchisee if the defendant is in a different County/
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

The answer is yes. You can. You would need to bring the matter in the county where the business is located, however, unless you can show they regularly do business in your county and/or the transaction was conducted in your county - say your home.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I suggest when suing a corporation as in a franchise, you should find it on the Secretary of State's website and locate the "resident agent" That is the person who will be served with the lawsuit complaint.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

But if the franchise is owned by a sole proprietor, you need to file against the person running the business, no matter what name he or she is using. For example, let’s say ***** ***** opens a dry cleaning business called “John’s Dry Cleaning.” You would sue ***** ***** because he owns the business. So, your defendant would be “***** ***** dba (doing business as) John’s Dry Cleaning.”