Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.
20011183

My medical records were faxed to a wrong number. The person

Customer Question

My medical records were faxed to a wrong number. The person said they would shred them. How do I know if copies were made by someone in the office? What do I do?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I’m happy to be of assistance.

There really is very little that you can do to insure that copies weren't made. Even if a court were involved, all they could do was ask the party if copies were made and if they were convincing liars no one would know any better.

What you should instead do is watch for any use of your protected information so that, if you must, you can sue the individuals for releasing that information and the damage caused by the release.

I would certainly contact the doctor's office, express your concerns and ask that they fund a "credit watch" service for you, if part of the information released could result in the stealing of your financial identity (if it contained personally identifiable information, like your address, phone #, Social security, etc.)

You can also file a complaint with the state's Department of Health and Human services against the doctor as this is considered a HIPAA violation.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service so that I receive credit for working with you today.