Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

What should my severance package look like, tenured

Customer Question

what should my severance package look like,
tenured assistant professor
14 years service
yearly $70000.00
53 years old
closing program
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have anything in your contract specifying you are entitled to any severance?
Have they offered any severance yet?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is nothing in my contract and no offer has been made
Thank you for your reply
Under federal and UT law, there is no law mandating you receive any severance. However, for someone in your position, when the program is ending and they are letting you go, the typical severance is anywhere between 2-4 weeks of pay for each year of service and benefits paid for that amount of time as well. The offering of severance is solely at the employer's discretion and you can ask for a severance agreement and propose terms (of course asking for 6 weeks of pay and benefits for each year of service, so then you have some negotiation room). If they refuse to offer any severance though, there is nothing you can do to force them to do so.