P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

CAN PERSON GET A COURT ORDER TO PUT ANOTHER PERSON IN REHAB

Customer Question

CAN PERSON GET A COURT ORDER TO PUT ANOTHER PERSON IN REHAB CENTER?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Practically speaking this is not possible.

A court would have the power to order a person who is incompetent to be made a "ward" of the court. If there was evidence, for example, that a person, due to their repeated drug use, was not competent (not able to understand the nature of their actions nor what is going on around themselves) the court could make them a ward (appoint a guardian).

But this would only apply if the person was truly incompetent (not just temporarily incompetent because they are on drugs).

The court will not make a person a ward of the court just because they have addiction issues.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the court would order this, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.