Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a cousin who is doing life robbery from the 90's.

Customer Question

Hello
I have a cousin who is doing life for a robbery from the 90's. there was no weapon, he snatch a chain off a guys neck. he took it to trial and was sentenced to life. I really think this is way to much. he has been locked up for at least 15 years so far and is not eligible for parole until 2027. I see cases with attempt murder and other robberies with less time than that. Isnt that time way to much even for a first offense? how can i get someone to look over is case to consider time served?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a New York State criminal defense lawyer.

A chain snatch is a Robbery in the third degree in New York state. The maximum possible sentence on that for a first felony offender would be an indeterminate sentence of 2 1/3 - 7 years of prison, and there's no mandatory minimum.

So I suggest that your cousin is not leveling with you, because his sentence, if he's telling you the truth, would be an illegal sentence. The only time he could get a life sentence for a NYS robbery is if he had prior felony convictions -- if not in NYS than elsewhere -- and was sentenced as a violent persistent felon. Otherwise the maximum, even on a first degree robbery, would only be 25 years.