Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

What is the law in Texas expired gift certificates. I have a

Customer Question

What is the law in Texas for honoring expired gift certificates. I have a Day Spa with expired gift certificates that have not been redeemed. Generally I allow 1 full year from the date of purchase. In the past I've been still honoring them even two to three years past the expiration date. I am just getting tired of going back in my log book searching, especially if the person says they misplaced the certificate. Please advise.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under Texas law, unless the gift certificate has a conspicuously displayed expiration date on the face of the certificate, the certificate must be honored whenever presented. See: Tex. Business & Commerce Code Ann. §604.101. So if the gift certificate have an expiration date on them you can refuse to honor them beyond that time period, unless you want to honor them based on goodwill. Most places now use electronic records for logging the certificates which makes them easier to search to avoid the time you spend looking in your log books.