P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

I've been struggling years as result of being emotionally,

Customer Question

Hi. I've been struggling for many years as result of being emotionally, physically and verbally abused by my ex-wife as a result of her behavior as a raging 24/7 alcoholic. We are since divorced, but the damage done continues to wreak havoc in all aspects of my life... work, relationships, trust, fear, ability to have normal intimacy.
I have tried to take the high road... for the sake of my children and others around me. But I need to have this settled once and for all. i've been in therapy, Al Anon, sexual counseling, etc.
Do I have any rights to file suit and bring her actions to justice, once and for all?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand...you want to sue for actions she has taken DURING the marriage? Or AFTER the marriage?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
during the marriage... which ended about 7 years ago.

Thank you

I am truly sorry to be the one to bear bad news. What you're describing, it is too late for you to see you. The statute limitations on this matter is 2 years. Since more than two years have elapsed since this conduct it is too late for you to sue now.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can sue, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.