Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I would like to know what action i could take to have a

Customer Question

I would like to know what action i could take to have a cyberharrassment issue stopped. Possibly a warning letter to decease?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me:

1) Do you know the other party's identity?

2) How are they harassing you? By email? Some other means?

3) What are they saying?

4) What state is this person in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the identity, thru e mail, character assasinations, accusatory remarks regarding me calling this person at work constantly (NEVER) Stalking (NEVER). This person has a reputation of some disorder that deems her unstable. She is with my ex boyfriend which is fine, but accusess me of a plethora of actions which are untrue. It has sent me into an emotional tailspin, she has informed me that the ex is posting deragatory comments about me, has been with many others because i am "ignorant, stupid...it just goes on with too many rants about me. She is already on probation for another crime and this set me back to emotional anguish.
She lives in Florida People who have dealt with her (including my ex has labeled her with narcisstic sociopathic personality disorder...now she is after me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was an e mail that covered three days. I was angry but tried to be gracious. Thought it wouldn't affect me, but it has, i'm not sleeping, in tears and just can't get over it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there some action i can take, perhaps an attorneys letter informing her to cease and desist or i will go further. I don't want to send a restraining order (or anything too formal, because i was told people on probation would go straight to jail if they are found to have broken any law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to let her know she can't do this to people and it is harrassment
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is this person in Florida as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She lives in the same town, Gainesville
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Someone in your situation may wish to send them a strong cease and desist letter just like you alluded to, mentioning that unless they stop, you would (a) seek a restraining order and/or (b) seek a suit for intentional infliction of emotional distress.
For a restraining order, see here:
http://womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?id=15038&state_code=FL
For a lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress, the threshold test to be followed in assessing behavior claimed to constitute the "intentional infliction of emotional distress" is whether such behavior is "so outrageous in character, and so extreme in degree, as to go beyond all possible bounds of decency." Ponton v. Scarfone, 468 So. 2d 1009 - Fla: Dist. Court of Appeals, 2nd Dist. 1985
Yes, such a letter may go a long way to scare them into stopping the harassment.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.