Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I won a court judgment from a former friend and my attorney

Customer Question

I won a court judgment from a former friend and my attorney told me to get my money asap but before I could the person disappeared...every now and then I see the individual that owes me money and when I approach, the person avoids me and walks away or hides...my attorney told me I have 5 years to get my money, I won the judgement in Dec 2012...the other day I was on the Internet and found the individual was in an auto accident and has filed a lawsuit asking for money...since I have not been paid, can I put a lien on the future proceeds the individual will receive in their pending lawsuit?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

You can't "put a lien" on it exactly, not in the way most people think about it.

However, what you can do is go to court and get a judge to issue an order/writ of garnishment directed to the attorney and ordering them to pay to you the amount of the judgment plus interest, etc.

These are pretty difficult to do and so you will need a local attorney to assist you but you can also get the judge to award you the attorney's fees as well and so you can get all of that awarded to you from the settlement proceeds.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.