Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My issue is can I sue a broker agent stealing my deposit?

Customer Question

Customer: My issue is can I sue a broker for his agent stealing my deposit?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I gave an agent a $2k check made out to him but for the purpose of putting a deposit on a home. the deal fell through because the bank didn't approve the short sale. Now the agent has disappeared and the broker says he is not liable for the money.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Yes, the broker is liable for malpractice by his or her agent. So, if their agent stole your check then the broker has to make it good. You can sue if the do not and you can also file a complaint with the state.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.