Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Checks written on a closed account about 22 years ago
,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and checks written on a closed account about 22 years ago
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: approximately 22 yrs ago, I wrote several bad checks on my closed personal account. I was convicted for them and served time, but I'm applying for RN liscensure in a different state and I honestly don't know if I have any other "checks" out there from that time period. I have to be forthcoming about my criminal history to be allowed to test for state boards. It's been 22 years and I did run a warrant check from the county the checks would have been written, and it did come back that there were none on me, but I"m still scared.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The checks were written in Muscogee County Georgia
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter?
You have run your own criminal records check prior to applying you said and nothing else has come back?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
An FBI check was done on me 2.5 yrs ago when I entered into nursing school, and all was fine. I also did a warrant search for the county in question, and it didn't produce any warrants for me; that was on their government site. I guess I'd just like to know what the statue of limitations is on something like this, so I don't have to worry. If I don't produce all information to the Board of Nursing, they can prevent me from becoming an RN.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, IF A WARRANT WAS ISSUED, there is no statute of limitations. If no warrant was issued the party who received the bad check only had 2 years if it was a misdemeanor and 4 years if it was a felony bad check claim from the date the check was written. So it would be too late to file charges and obtain a warrant now. If no warrants were issued before, then it is beyond the GA criminal statute of limitations.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I assume that because the county website which offers a warrant check has no warrants listed for me, that I am in the clear?
Thank you for your reply.
The county website is a good indicator that you are clear in that county, yes. However, if you may have written checks in other counties, you need to go to your local police department and they will do a national criminal record check on you (for a nominal fee) and you will know for certain throughout the entire country and the entire state of GA and not that one county. That is the only way you can be 100% certain you are clear.