Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I took my 2 dogs to a groomer yesterday. my dog was a pure

Customer Question

Hello I took my 2 dogs to a groomer yesterday. my dog was a pure bred Yorkie. When I went to pick him up they delayed bringing him to me. I found out they dropped him and when they did bring him out he was paralyzed and shaking in terrible pain. They said he may have had a stroke and told me to take him to the vet. The vet said they called her in the mean time and said he had tried to jump out of the cage and they missed trying to catch him. His temp went up to 105.9 He had broken a bone in his spine. The vet said a nuerologist in Portland and immediate surgery might allow him to walk again or he should be put down. They paid the vet bills but we want another Yorkie. Do we have the right to receive compensation? Dogs like mine cast anywhere from $1000 to 2300.I can't quit crying and my husband is mad.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am so sorry for your pet's situation! Yes, someone in your situation does have the right to seek compensation.

In the end, the pet is considered "chattel." What the groomer - the company - did was not provide the necessary care for the pet arguably, while the pet was in their care. This would be cause for negligence. The essential elements of actionable negligence are: (1) the existence of a duty owed to the complaining party; (2) a breach thereof; (3) a resulting injury; and (4) a proximate cause between the claimed breach and resulting injury. Hansen v. Washington Natural Gas Co., 95 Wn.2d 773, 776, 632 P.2d 504 (1981).

They damaged your chattel, meaning that they are liable for its "repair" or if it cannot be "repaired," then the price of a comparable item, much like if they had hit your vehicle.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.