Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was on LTD with Cigna with a 24 month cap on "mental"

Customer Question

I was on LTD with Cigna with a 24 month cap on "mental" illness after being in a commercial airplane crash and suffering from PTSD, I have 180 days to appeal as they stopped paying late June based on the policy. Do I have any options to continue disability payments?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The issue is the terms of the contract. PTSD is considered a mental illness, so if the policy is written with a cap on the payments for that reason, then that is all they are bound to pay. The courts look at the wording of the contract and will hold both parties to the terms of that contract wording. So with your contract stating that there is a 24 month cap, if you have not reached the cap then you have grounds to appeal, but if you have reached the 24 months, then even if you were to take it to court the court would have to enforce that contractual cap as written.