Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Will a law office take an embezzlement case of over $300,000

Customer Question

Will a law office take an embezzlement case of over $300,000 between a sawmill and a bank?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Every law firm decides on their own to take a case based on many factors, including (but not limited to):

• the lawyer's assessment of the amount of money the person is likely to recover
  • how busy the law firm is and if they are going to be able to get to the case in a timely manner
  • the lawyer's expertise and how familiar they are with this type of case
  • whether the evidence suggests that the client is likely to prevail on their case
  • the time and expense of handling the case, compared to the likely fee that will result
  • whether he thinks the other side has a defense that will preclude the potential client from winning

While it is very likely that a law firm would accept a case where someone stole $300,000, because they would be able to also seek punitive damages that would help pay the legal fees - you said that this incident occurred in 2007. I'm happy to check the statute of limitations for your particular state, if you can tell me where it is, but statutes of limitation for this type of case tend to be pretty short. Statute of limitations is an affirmative defense, and most lawyers will unfortunately not accept a case after the statute has expired. You'd need to be able to establish that the defendant left the state after taking your money, which extends the statute, or that you couldn't have been aware of their act earlier because they took steps to fraudulently conceal it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.