Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My 84 year old mother had her house catch fire. While she

Customer Question

My 84 year old mother had her house catch fire. While she was in the hospital a dry cleaning company came in and took her clothes, towels,drapes,and so on. With being 84 she probably has not thrown out anything that she doesn't need or fits her in 20 years. Neither her or anyone in the family ever sign any contract with this cleaning company. The bill for the cleaning is over $2000 and we did get the money from the insurance company.
What my question is since out of all the contents the cleaning company has my mother probably only need 20% of the items could she refuse to pay the cleaning company and use the money to replace items that she could actually use.
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Who contacted the cleaning company to come out to perform services?

.

Did the contract with the cleaning company state that they would remove and dispose of anything damaged by the fire?

.

Did the insurance company pay for the cleaning as well as for mother's personal property that was damaged?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I guessing the insurance company contacted them.
I never seen a contract no family members ever signed anything
The insurance company did pay for everything, I just fill it's a rip-off what they charge to clean item that a lot were not dirty or sooty.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I must leave, I'm at work, my home email is***@******.***

Ok, if the insurance company was the one who hired the cleaners to come in and clean, then they are the ones responsible for paying them under the insurance coverage, not mother. So if they are trying to bill mother and she never signed a contract for anything, she can tell them that she isn't paying anything because she never entered into a contract with them.

.

But if the insurance paid mother for any personal property damages, then legally the insurance company becomes the owner of any damaged items and then they can dispose of them it they wish, clean them and sell them, give them to charity, etc....basically whatever they want to do because they have essentially bought them from mother by paying her their value. Mother would then use the insurance money to buy anything that she needed to replace what was damaged.

.

.

thanks