Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I won a case in small claims court. also the man was found

Customer Question

Customer: I won a case in small claims court. also the man was found guilty of third(3) degree trespassing in court. I was awarded 1271.00 in small claims court. How do I go about collecting my money. Can I garnishees his wages or put lien on his property.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The man has a trucking company and he hauls logs and other wood products. the small claims gave him 10 days to pay me or appeal the case to court. today is the final date. I have not call the court as of yet.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I am okay with that.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If he owns his own company, it is harder to garnish his wages. You can still follow the same process I described, but he may not withhold on his own. If he does not, then you can petition the court that issued the original order to place a lien on his property. You can then petition to liquidate relative to the property in order to get your money. Essentially, you then hold his property as a bargaining chip for him to pay. If he does not, you can then liquidate it and get your money out of the proceeds after an auction.

Just checking in with you to see if you have any additional questions based on what was shared earlier. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward with this issue. Thanks!