P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

After signing a "Responsible Person" line on a nursing home

Customer Question

After signing a "Responsible Person" line on a nursing home acceptance form for a derelict friend to get her in, I am getting notices from a collector claiming I owe her unpaid balance. Am I liable for this? I signed to get her in and not to pay her bill. She is on Medicaid.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. If you signed an agreement with the facility? You are responsible for any charges associated with the agreement. Specifically, if you signed an agreement to pay? The facility can force you to pay.

Now...if your friend is disabled and not able to care for themselves, I would expect that MEDICAID (a state/federal assistance program) would apply. So you may want to contact your county representative for MEDICAID to see if you can get your friend on this program (to limit your liability)

But to answer the question, can they force you to pay?
If you agreed to pay? They can force you to do so

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.