LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

Is there anyway to find out if a defendant paid a settlement

Customer Question

Is there anyway to find out if a defendant paid a settlement claim, pending a law suite?
I do not feel that I got a fair settlement in my case; and, I do feel I was not represented in a professional manor.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, this was settled outside of court?

Hi, are you still with me

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my case never went to court . I was told that the judge was going to rule for the defendant because there was no way we could win the case. I was told the defendant put an offer on the table, which I turned down the first time. the offer came up again, I was lead to believe if I did not take it the case would be closed, and I would get nothing, because we couldn't win!

Thank you for the additional information. Settlements are typically confidential. As such, unless one of the parties disclosed the status of it, there would be no way of finding out, if the defendant was paid. However, if the defendant was NOT paid, the plaintiff would have likely taken the defendant back to court to enforce the settlement or proceed and sue, so the case would appear in the public records and be able to be seen. The decision to take the settlement offer, is at your discretion. If you were not properly represented, you could file a Bar complaint against the attorney representing you. However, if you accepted it, it needs to be paid and if they did not pay, then you could take them back to court to enforce it.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.